Personal Data Protection Notice
This Personal Data Notice (“Notice”) describes how Shang & Co. (a partnership incorporated under the laws of Malaysia with its place of business at C-27-1 KL Trillion No.338 Jalan Tun Razak Kuala Lumpur) uses your Personal Data.
By engaging Shang & Co. to provide services or by interacting with Shang & Co. either at our events, conferences, seminars, talks or otherwise, or by using the Shang & Co. website http://www.shangco.com.my (“Website”), you consent to the processing of your Personal Data by Shang & Co. and all persons involved in the provision of services by Shang & Co.
In the event of any conflict between the English and other language versions, the English version shall prevail. Shang & Co. shall have the right to modify, update or amend the terms of this Notice at any time by placing the updated Notice on the Website. By continuing to communicate with Shang & Co. or by continuing to use Shang & Co.’s services following the modifications, updates or amendments to this Notice, this shall signify your acceptance of such modifications, updates or amendments.
Collection of Personal Data
1. “Personal Data” means information about you which you have provided to Shang & Co., such as your name, address, telephone number, NRIC, email address, your personal preferences, particulars of your spouse or family members and bank account information and any information which may identify you, your spouse or family members that has been or may be collected, stored, used and processed by Shang & Co. from time to time.
2. In addition to the Personal Data you provide to Shang & Co. directly (i.e. during your communications with Shang & Co. and/or when you engage Shang & Co. to provide services), Shang & Co. may also collect your Personal Data from a variety of sources, including without limitation at any events, conferences, seminars or talks organised or sponsored by Shang & Co. and/or from the cookies used on the Website.
3. The provision of your Personal Data is voluntary. However, if you do not provide your Personal Data, Shang & Co. may not be able to (i) communicate with you; (ii) provide you the services you require; or (ii) access certain sections of the Website where log in is required.
4. If you do not wish for your Personal Data to be collected via cookies on the Website, you may deactivate cookies.
Purposes of Processing
5. Shang & Co. may use and process your Personal Data for the purposes relating to the services you have requested and for the business activities of Shang & Co. which shall include, without limitation:-
a. to communicate with you;
b. to respond to questions and comments from you;
c. for internal administrative purposes;
d. to provide information to regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements;
e. for Shang & Co. to comply with its obligations under law, including compliance with laws relating to evidence;
and you agree and consent to Shang & Co. using and processing your Personal Data in the manner as identified in this Notice.
6. Shang & Co. may also use and process your data for other purposes such as:-
a. to send you materials such as newsletters, articles, write-ups as well as other updates;
b. to distribute information or details of events, seminars, conferences and talks which may of interest to you;
c. to send as potential referees to (i) editors/researchers in ranking legal publications and journals; (ii) potential clients who request for referees of past work in Requests for Proposals, tenders, submissions;
by way of email or mail.
7. If you do not consent to Shang & Co. processing your Personal Data for the purposes listed in Section 6, please notify Shang & Co. using the contact details stated in Section 8 below.
Transfer of Personal Data
8. As Shang & Co.'s information technology storage facilities and servers may be located in other jurisdictions, your Personal Data may be transferred to, stored, used and processed in a jurisdiction other than Malaysia. Further, your personal data may be transferred out of Malaysia for the purposes as described in Section 6(c) where such ranking legal publications and journals and/or potential clients are located outside of Malaysia. You understand and consent to the transfer of your Personal Data out of Malaysia as described herein.
Disclosure to Third Parties
9. Shang & Co. may engage other companies, service providers or individuals to perform functions on Shang & Co.’s behalf, and consequently may provide access or disclose to your Personal Data to the third parties such as those listed below (not exhaustive):
a. information technology (IT) service providers;
b. data entry service providers;
c. storage facility providers;
d. banks and financial institutions;
e. insurance providers;
f. any professional advisors and external auditors;
g. regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including to the AGD for the purposes as described in Section 5 above.
Access & Correction Requests and Inquiries
10. Subject to any exceptions under applicable laws, you may at any time hereafter request : (i) for access to your Personal Data (ii) for correction or rectification of your Personal Data; (iii) to limit the processing of your Personal Data; or (iv) to seek further information from Shang & Co. regarding the processing of your Personal Data by contacting:-
C-27-1 KL Trillion No.338 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpurr
Telephone No.: +603 2726 9601/ 9602/ 9603 Facsimile No.: +603 27269604
11. In respect of your right to access and/or correct your Personal Data, Shang & Co. has the right to refuse your requests to access and/or make any correction to your Personal Data for the reasons permitted under law, such as where the expense of providing access to you is disproportionate to the risks to your privacy.